I love salads, and this Chickpea Salad with Sauteed Onions and Garlic is a favorite. I’ve made it 2 times in the last 4 weeks. Let’s just say its in heavy rotation. You’re more likely to see a bowl of this salad in my house than to find any of the cakes or cookies I make.
While I post tall, decadent cakes like this Oatmeal Cookie Layer Cake or this Muddy Buddy Filled Chocolate Pinata Cake, and cupcakes slathered in fluffy, buttery frosting topped with fudge and candy like these Snickers Cupcakes and these Grasshopper Cupcakes, that’s definitely not what my family or I eat on a daily basis. If you read my blog regularly, you know that I give 99% of my baked goods away to friends, neighbors, and even my girls’ teachers. They’re happy to receive an occasional treat, and I’m happy only eating one (or maybe 2) helpings of the various treats I make.It’s salads like this Chickpea Salad with Sauteed Onions and Garlic that I make and eat. All the time.
I think what makes this salad so good is that all the flavors go well together. The starchy chickpeas are balanced with sharp and salty feta. The herby parsley and cilantro paired with the acidic and tart lemon juice give the salad a fresh, brightness. And last, but definitely not least, the sauteed red onions and garlic finish the salad with an almost buttery savoriness. Rest assured, there is no butter in the salad, the sauteed bits just give the salad a buttery flavor.
It sounds magical, because it is. Honestly it’s one of the most delicious salads I’ve ever put in my tummy.
I often eat the salad straight out of a bowl. Or sometimes I toss it with some dark leafy greens (like spinach or kale). And on occasion I’ve stuffed it into a pita and sprinkled on some extra feta. I bet there are at least a dozen more ways to eat this Chickpea Salad with Sauteed Onions and Garlic. Make it, and tell me how you eat it!
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2, 14oz cans of chickpeas (I use the organic, unsalted chickpeas sold in boxes at Whole Foods)
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped (only the green portion)
- 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1½ medium lemons
- 8 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
- black pepper
- Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute the red onions until they are soft.
- Add the garlic to the pan. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- Remove the sauteed onion and garlic from the pan. Set it aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse the chick peas.
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl.
- Add the feta, scallions, parsley, cilantro, and lemon juice.
- Add the sauteed onions and garlic and the rest of the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is adapted from Simple Provisions.
This post is linked to these parties.