These fluffy, tender Chocolate Rolls are packed with 3 different kinds of chocolate and drizzled with more melted chocolate and a thick, creamy vanilla glaze.
Last week I posted these Lemon Poppy Seed Rolls when I was feeling like spring was right around the corner. Something bright, fresh, and full of the promise of spring. Well, yesterday we got dragged back to winter with a little snow storm. Yup. Snow in April. So, I was in the mood for something decadent and comforting, and chocolate always fits the bill for me. And that’s where these Chocolate Rolls come into the picture.
These Chocolate Rolls are actually made with 3 different forms of chocolate – cocoa, mini-chocolate chips, and melted dark chocolate. And like any type of chocolate, the higher the cocoa content the more chocolatey it will be. For me the more chocolate the better 🙂
As far as yeasted rolls go, this recipe for Chocolate Rolls is pretty quick. I didn’t even use a mixer. I kneaded it by hand, and the total resting/rising time for the Chocolate Rolls is only 1 hour and 45 min.
I made the dough for these Chocolate Rolls in the morning. I let it rise during my run, then rolled it out. Made the rolls, and let them rest while picking up my pre-schooler. Then I baked them before picking up my older daughter. While I got her from school, they cooled. And I glazed them with the dark chocolate and vanilla glaze just in time for snack !
The only problem is that my girls don’t like chocolate! So even though there were fresh, warm Chocolate Rolls available for snack, they opted for a kale and fruit smoothie. Yeah. You head that right. They passed up the chocolate for kale. Haha! If only I had the will power to make that choice. Nope. Instead I was stuffing my face with Chocolate Rolls while they filled up on smoothies.
- For the Chocolate Rolls:
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk (about 105 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 1/4 tsp active, dry yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Filling:
- 3 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 cup min-chocolate chips
- For the Chocolate Topping;
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar, salt, and oil. Allow the mixture to sit for five minutes or until it become bubbly.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the cocoa powder and 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Continue to add 1/2 cup of flour until the dough is too stiff to mix with a wooden spoon. (I usually use about 3 cups of flour.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel, and allow it to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until the dough is about doubled in volume.
- Turn the risen dough out on to a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for a minute or two.
- Then roll the dough out into a 9-inch by 12-inch rectangle.
- Using an off-set spatula or a butter knife, spread the softened butter over the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle with the granulated sugar, cocoa, and mini-chocolate chips.
- Starting with one of the long sides of the dough, roll the dough.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Place the rolls on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the rolls with a tea towel, and allow to rest for about 45 min.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and allow the rolls to completely cool before topping.
- Melt the chopped, dark chocolate.
- Place in a zip-top bag with the corner snipped off.
- Mix the sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the rolls.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the vanilla glaze over the rolls.
This post is linked to these awesome parties.
Dear Aida, These chocolate rolls are irresistible! Would it be wrong for me to want this for breakfast??! I would love waking up to a warm batch of these especially with the weather turning bitter again. Stay warm dear! xo, Catherine
Oh yum, these look absolutely delicious!
Chocolate and more chocolate in a roll, life is complete.
Last week I thought your Lemon Poppy Seed Rolls were amazing but now I am really excited about your chocolate rolls. I am such a chocolate person and my son loves anything chocolate for me. So I cannot wait to give these are try.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen says
These are the way to fresh baked rolls for sure! More chocolate is always a good thing 🙂
Emily @ Recipes to Nourish says
Whoa! These look pretty spectacular! My kind of rolls! LOVE chocolate!
Logan Can says
These look amazing! I am a huge fan of chocolate but have never tried a chocolate roll!
Christina @ Christina's Cucina says
What’s not to love, especially since these are homemade with real ingredients?! Love that there’s no premade pastry involved and lots of chocolate! Lovely recipe and they look awesome!
allie @ Through Her Looking Glass says
Dear Aida, that is so funny about your girls and the chocolate rolls. My kids do things like this all the time and it truly confounds me. Your rolls are absolutely gorgeous and take comfort food to the highest level! 🙂 Super job.