These Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops are a deliciously adorable addition to any Halloween spread. Made from crumbled cake mixed, frosting, and candy coating, these Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops are the perfect, easy, make-ahead addition to your Halloween celebration.
So I’m still on my Halloween kick. I know that autumn and Thanksgiving treats are calling my name, but I can’t seem to shake Halloween from my brain 🙂 So here’s the latest: Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops!
When I made these Halloween Bat Cupcakes they were my favorite. Then when I made my Easy Witch’s Hat Cupcakes, they were all of a sudden my new favorite. But these Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops are definitely the most adorable Halloween treats I’ve made to date.
I Mean they’re little ghosts holding pumpkin trick or treat bags. Seriously. I’m sort of in love with them. Almost too cute to eat.
As festive as these Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops are, they’re so simple to make. The shape of a ghost is simply a circle with a flat bottom.Once I made my cake pop “clay” (which is just cake crumbs mixed with frosting to form a clay-like consistency), I shaped them into ghosts (aka spheres with a flat bottom).
For the arms I used Good & Plenty candies (black licorice). I didn’t realize how stubby the candies were, so
I had to cut them into quarters before sticking them in the ghost cake pops.
While the cake pops chilled in the fridge I made the pumpkins. I used orange mini-M&M’s and a fine tip black food color marker to draw on the face. Aren’t they so darn cute? I may just start drawing faces on all of my mini-M&M’s 🙂
What makes these Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops so easy is that dipping the ghosts into white candy
Coating is so forgiving. Little bumps or imperfections in the coating is perfectly fine because it’s a ghost. A little drip or air bubble never hurt a ghost! It just makes them look more ghost-like.
While I wish I could guarantee that you and your family will have fun this Halloween, I can promise that if you make a little army of these Trick-Or-Treat Ghost Cake Pops not only will you have a bunch of delicious treats to munch on, but you’ll also bring a smile to everyone’s face.
Here’s to a safe Halloween filled with many, many more treats thank tricks 🙂
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream or yogurt
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup white candy melts (I used pure white candy melts from Wilton)
- ⅛ cup black candy melts
- 1½ tbs vegetable shortening
- 5 Good&Plenty candies cut into quarters lengthwise
- black and white paper straws (I used 10 straws and cut them in half)
- 20 mini-orange M&M's
- A fine tip food color marker in black
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter until light and fluffy. (About 2-3 minutes on medium speed)
- Add the sugar. Mix until fluffy. (About 2-3 minutes on medium)
- Add the egg whites. Mix until combined.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla, and milk. Mix until combined.
- Fill each muffin liner until ½ full.
- Bake for about 18-20 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached to it.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Allow them to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin, and allow them to cool completely on a drying rack.
- Using either a handheld mixer or a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and salt. Mix until combined.
- Remove the paper liners from each of the cupcakes.
- Crumble the cupcakes into fine crumbs, removing any dark or crusty pieces.
- Add about 1 tsp of the frosting. Mix.
- At this point your cake crumb mixture should be the consistency of clay. If it is too dry, add more frosting, but be careful not to add too much frosting or the cake pops will be too oily and loose their shape.
- Form about walnut-sized balls with the cake pop clay.
- Flatten one end of the ball so it can stand on a cake pan.
- Place the ghost shaped cake pops on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Insert a cut piece of the Good&Plenty candy on either side of the cake pop as the ghost's arms. Repeat this process with all of the cake pops.
- Chill the cake pops in the fridge for about 15 to 10 min.
- While the cake pops chill, melt the white candy melts with about 1½ tbs of vegetable shortening. Allow the candy melts to cool for a few minutes before using.
- Dip the end of a paper straw into the candy melt. Then insert the straw in the top of the cake pop until it is about ⅓ of the way through the cake pop. Repeat this process with all of the cake pops.
- Place the cake pops back in the fridge for about 15 to 20 min.
- Reheat the candy melts if necessary. Allow them to cool for a few minutes before using.
- Line another sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Removing one or two cake pops from the fridge at a time, dip the cake pop into the candy melts. Gently tap off any extra candy coating.
- Place the cake pop on the parchment lined sheet pan.
- Repeat the process with all of the cake pops.
- Return the cake pops to the refrigerator to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the cake pops chill, draw the faces on the mini-M&M's using a fine tip food color marker in black.
- Once the cake pops are cooled, using a toothpick, place a small amount of white candy melts along the side of the orange mini-M&M. Attach the M&M to the cake pop under the ghost's arm. Repeat the process with all of the cake pops.
- Return the cake pops to the fridge to chill for 15 to 20 min.
- Melt the black candy melts.
- Using a toothpick, make the eyes and mouth for each ghost.
- Then, using the same black candy melts and a toothpick, draw the handle for the pumpkin around the ghosts' arms.
- Chill the cake pops for another few minutes.
- Serve chilled
This post is linked to these awesome parties.