These moist, fluffy Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls are packed with fresh lemon flavor and topped with a buttery, lemony glaze. These Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls are perfect for breakfast, with a cup of coffee, or for a satisfying snack!
So we had a bit of a set back in the weather this week in New England. But that isn’t going to stop me from celebrating spring! Yes, lemons are a winter citrus fruit, but they bright, fresh flavor of lemon always reminds me of the sunnier, brighter, lighter days of spring. So, I’m kicking off my spring inspired treats this year with these Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls!
I’m a sucker for sweet rolls and coffee cakes. I think it’s the fluffy, bread-like structure that makes sweet rolls so irresistible to me. Plus, who can resist a sweet treat that is an acceptable breakfast, snack, and dessert. Seriously – it’s a dream come true for someone with a sweet tooth.
These Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls are fluffy, tender, and packed with lemony goodness on the inside of the rolls and in the glaze. The poppy seeds give the these sweet rolls some texture, and the buttery, lemony glaze makes these Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls decadent and irresistible.
Since these Lemon Poppy Seed Sweet Rolls were the fluffiest, most tender, decadent sweet rolls yet, I’ve been thinking about which sweet roll flavor to make next. I was thinking chocolate sweet rolls. What do you think?
- For the Lemon Poppy Seed Rolls:
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 200 ml warm water
- 100 ml warm milk
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, beaten
- 3 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbs poppy seeds
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 2 to 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, butter, and eggs together.
- Add the milk, and mix using the dough hook.
- Slowly add the water as you are mixing.
- Mix for two minutes.
- Add the poppy seeds. Mix until combined.
- Knead with the dough hook for about 5 minutes, until smooth. (If kneading by hand, knead for about 10 minutes.)
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise for about 1 to 2 hours (It should double in size.)
- Knock the air out of the risen dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll out each piece into a rectangle (about 7 inches by 4 inches)
- Spread butter on the surface of the rolled dough.
- Sprinkle with about 1 1/2 tsp sugar.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Roll up the dough, and twist.
- Coil the dough into a circle.
- Repeat with all 8 pieces of dough.
- Place the rolls on a sheet pan lined with greased parchment paper.
- Allow the rolls to rest for about 40 minutes, or doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- Sift the sugar.
- Mix with the butter, lemon juice, and zest.
- Once the rolls are cooked and completely cooled, glaze the rolls.
This post is linked to these awesome parties.